Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hot, Hot, Hot

"It's feeling hot hot hot...."

That's what I'm singing everytime I take B-dog out.  It was also the tune my PC was singing whenever I would try to render anything in 3D to the point it would reach critical and shut down at around 100 C.  Yeah I know, I know... I'm a bad PC owner I should have replaced the heatsink when it started acting up, but I really wasn't feeling the pull to work on 3D so I researched what I wanted/needed and waited.  Recently I'd been toying with the idea of getting back to a project I left hanging at the end of 2009, it's been a year and 5 months since I've done any real modeling.  So with some prompting I finally ordered a Coolmaster Hyper 212 plus.

I have two different temperature software running... speedfan and core temp, I like core temp better because it gives you temps on the individual cores.  Both are free.  I don't have a comparison in core temp from before the new heatsink, under full load to both cores, core 0 ran 45-62c and core 1 ran 36-58c.  As a comparision, speedfan before the new heatsink would hit 100c and the PC would shut down unable to complete the render.  The exact same render run with the new heatsink speedfan temp reading never went above 82C and fan speed never reaching 900 (the speed for the fan is 600-2000).  I can always add a second fan if I need it.  For now I'm not worried about it.

Shows height difference in the two, stock on left 212 Plus right

overall size difference

less than half an inch clearance between the copper pipes and RAM

just enough clearance to move the fan to the top or add another.
It is a bit more involved then some heatsinks to install, but I think it's worth it, I also had to move a case fan on the side to the front.  If you are thinking about ordering this heatsink make sure you check the dimensions and pre-measure.  I also don't notice this fan which is 3-32 dBA,I think my case fans are louder.


C over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment